Monday, September 20, 2010

Restoring Sanity and Marching for Fear

Unless you live under a rock, you heard that Jon Stewart is hosting a Restoring Sanity , to countered by Colbert's  March to Keep Fear Alive, which warns, "...there are dark, optimistic forces trying to take away our Fear."

Now, the purpose of the Sanity March is pretty clear both from the mouth of Stewart and the website, "We're looking for the people who think shouting is annoying, counterproductive, and terrible for your throat; who feel that the loudest voices shouldn't be the only ones that get heard; and who believe that the only time it's appropriate to draw a Hitler mustache on someone is when that person is actually Hitler. Or Charlie Chaplin in certain roles."
"We live in troubled times, with real people, facing real problems, problems that have real, if imperfect, solutions, that I believe 70 to 80% of our population could agree to try, and could ultimately live with. Unfortunately, the conversation and process is controlled by the other 15 to 20%." So true...
Unfortunately, if you look at sites like HuffPo and ThinkProgress, there are many who think this IS going to be some sort of Micheal Moore rant-a-thon, filled with all manner of shouting and angry signs carried by professional activists. Apparently they have reading comprehension problems as bad as the teabaggers. If they hijack and wreck this I will consider them the same as the TP.

A Politico piece last week did a good job of breaking down the differences between TDS/Colbert audience and Becks:
"The largest segment of Glenn Beck’s audience is over 65, while the largest segment that watches the Daily Show and the Colbert Report is under 30"
"But Daily Show and Colbert Report fans are on average less far left than, say, regular watchers of MSNBC’s Keith Olbermann and Rachel Maddow."

While we're at it, one thing that TDS does extremely well is skewer the media for not researching their stories. And now we a poorly researched story about the rallies in the NYT. Nowhere is it mentioned how ths all came about, with a single comment on Reddit and Colbert's fans setting up websites and Facebook pages.

I have no idea how this will turn out, but already it proves two points from the shows, the media sucks at doing their job and loud minority extremists try to hijack any thing remotely connected to politics in this country.

No comments: